Some posts contain affiliate links. We may earn money or product from the companies mentioned in this post.
There is no denying that is my favorite time of year. My husband every year tells me that we have enough Fall/Halloween/Thanksgiving decor but I assure him that there is always room for more! And this project is unique-we have nothing like it yet! I’m not really into the NFL but I love college football. My parents have season tickets to our favorite school’s team, the University of Utah, and I graduated from there, having been to many games in the famed student section, the MUSS.
It’s one of the many, many reasons that I love fall! So, to share in the spirit of football, I felt it was time to merge my love of fall and college football into one project. And that’s how I created this fun DIY Fall Football Pumpkins. It was so easy to make and you can easily customize it with the color of flowers, the size, and you can even throw a logo on the pumpkins too.
Here’s what you need to make your own Football Pumpkins! (all of the supplies I snagged at Michaels):
1 Craft Pumpkin (I used the smaller size)
Brown Decoart Craft Paint
White Decoart Craft Paint
Paint Brushes and Foam Brushes
Snow Texture or Photo Texture
1. Carve out the top of your pumpkin with a carving knife. Only do this if you plan on putting flowers or something inside.
2. Paint your pumpkin brown-you will probably need to do more than one coat of paint.
3. Add the texture around the pumpkin using a foam brush. I used dabbing motions so the texture would have tiny little peaks, rather than being smooth. You want it to have texture like a football.
4. Add another coat of the brown paint over the texture once it dries.
5. Using the white paint, paint the lines like a football on whichever area is the “front” of your pumpkin.
6. Once dry, use brown twine and glue (I used wood glue) the twine using the lines of the pumpkin. I only put the twin over a couple of sections but you could do all of them if you choose.
Once the pumpkin is made, you can customize it however you would like. With the selection of colors now, it isn’t difficult to find fake flowers in the colors of your favorite team. Or you can use fall colors like I did. I am going to add a pinwheel made from paper with the Utes logo in the middle to give it more school spirit.
This is one project that even the pickiest husband will appreciate (as long as he’s a football fan too!).