Some posts contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy for more information!
When it comes to Disneyland, there is plenty of fun to be found for boys and girls alike! So what things should make your list if you have a family of boys? Here’s a guide to doing Disneyland with boys from a Mom’s point of view.
Oh, boy! Are you excited to go to Disneyland? You can dress up your little girl like a princess and see Cinderella, Belle, Elsa, and wait… what if you’re bringing a little boy? How do you make this trip fun for him too? Don’t worry, we have the best ideas and tips of how to make Disneyland the happiest place on earth for your little boys too.
Here’s a Mom’s Guide To Doing Disneyland With Boys!
The first tip to doing Disneyland with boys is to book with Get Away Today, your travel experts. Not only will you get the best deal by booking through them, but by using promo code EverydayFamily you will also get an additional $10 off your Southern California vacation package!
All right, let’s get to the rest of the ideas.
Rides for Little Boys at Disneyland
You’ll want to make sure you take your boy on all of the cool rides Disneyland and Disney California Adventure has to offer. Some of these include It’s Tough to Be a Bug, Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree, Soarin’ Around the World and much more. Here are some suggestions to help you narrow down their favorites or you can go see them all!
- Does your little boy love cars? Then Cars Land will be a dream come true for him! Here you will be immersed in the town of Radiator Springs with characters and settings straight from the film. You will want to race onto Radiator Springs Racers for a fun and thrilling ride. Then cruise over to Luigi’s Rollickin’ Roadsters, where the cars dance across the floor with you inside. Everywhere you look, you and your little boy will be amazed at the detail and excitement Cars Land has to offer.
- Are the Disney classics your boy’s favorite? If so, then Toon Town is the place for him. Here, you will find a variety of things to ride in and climb on. You will also see Mickey, Minnie, and other classic Disney characters’ houses. If they’re home, you can even snap a picture with them! We love Gadget’s Go Coaster. It’s the perfect amount of thrill for little ones! And if you need to hang out and relax for a bit, Goofy’s Playhouse and Donald’s Boat have seating for parents and lots of fun for little ones to get out their energy. And what boy doesn’t love climbing all over, right?
- Is your boy a Star Wars fan? Then you won’t want to miss all the Star Wars fun that Disneyland has to offer during Season of the Force. Located in Tomorrowland, your boy can experience the force through Jedi Training: Trials of the Temple, Star Tours-The Adventures Continue, Star Wars Launch Bay and more. The Jedi Training was definitely a highlight for both of my boys!
- Does your boy love adventure? If so, head over to Adventureland where he can experience high adventure through a forbidden temple on the Indiana Jones Ride. Next, you can go to New Orleans Square where you hop aboard a ship and sail through the Pirates of the Caribbean. Disneyland Resort is filled with adventure so wherever you go, your boy will be sure to find it. There is plenty to do for the older boys in your life too. My husband has just as much fun as the kids! They also have a fun little play area in California Adventure called the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail. It’s another place for parents to take a break while the kids get their wiggles out!
- Here’s a funny story about Pirates of the Caribbean. My oldest has always been a little afraid of it. The last time we went to Disneyland, he was seven and had a meltdown while we were in line. In the meantime, my younger boy, who was four, just looked at him with confusion and then ended up calming him down! It was hilarious. People in line were probably wondering what we did to get that kind of reaction for our boy, but he ended up loving the ride so much, we rode it four more times while we were there! Here are some before and after pics.
Characters Boys Will Love
Make sure you introduce your little boy to all of his Disney heroes, such as Captain America, Aladdin, Buzz Lightyear, and of course, Mickey Mouse. Speaking of heroes, the Summer of Heroes celebration makes its debut at Disney California Adventure. This will kick off exciting attractions and events such as Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT!, Avengers Training Initiative, Super Hero Encounters and more. You won’t want to miss your little boy’s expression when he comes face to face with his all-time Disney favorites! We are looking forward to this for sure. They didn’t have this the last time we went and my boys are so excited to go again this year. My son really loved meeting Mickey again. It was actually such a sweet moment. When it was our turn to meet him, my son ran right over and gave him the biggest hug and just held on! It was precious!!
Food Little Boys Love To Eat
We all know that little (and big) boys get hungry, so you’ll want to make sure and treat them to any of the delicious food and snacks the park has to offer. Some recommendations for boys are the pizza at Redd Rockett’s Pizza Port, hotdogs at Pluto’s Dog House, and of course, a classic Mickey premium ice cream bar or churro at any of the stands throughout the park. Whatever you choose to eat will truly be a treat because all of the food at the Disneyland Resort is delightful.
My husband also has his favorites that always ends up having to share! We can never go a day without grabbing a turkey leg in Fantasyland. I always enjoy a Dole Whip in Adventureland too. I learned the hard way that my family loves them just as much because they ended up eating all of mine the first time they tried it! If you get a Dole Whip, be sure each member of your family has their own (and be prepared for a line because it’s really popular!).
Fun Fireworks, Shows, and Disney Dining
If you’re doing Disneyland with boys, they have other great entertainment too. Depending on the year and the celebration, you can find a variety of parades, fireworks, and shows in both Disneyland and California Adventure.
- My kids really enjoyed the Pixar Play Parade in California Adventure because they were able to see their favorite Pixar characters all at once (and they have some really fun floats!). Check the schedule when you book your trip to see what special parades they are highlighting for the year. For example, in 2018, for Pixar Fest, they have the Paint the Night Parade.
- There is always a night show in either Disneyland or California Adventure. For Pixar Fest, the special fireworks display is called Together Forever featuring all our favorite Pixar friends at Cinderella’s castle.
- While there is a lot of entertainment and shows for little princesses, they also have some fun for boys! If your boys love Mickey Mouse, they will enjoy Mickey and the Magical Map, a live musical show in Fantasyland. In California Adventure, the Guardians of the Galaxy: Dance Off is fun for everyone! And for little guys who like watching Disney Junior, the Disney Junior Dance party is a good time! Just be sure to get a fast pass because the shows book up quickly.
- I always wanted to do a Disney Dining experience growing up. So the last time we went to Disneyland, I asked my husband if we could do it and count the experience as my Christmas gift. It was definitely worth it! We chose to go to Surf’s Up Breakfast with Mickey and Friends. It’s in the Paradise Pier Hotel and it is a full buffet with plenty of delicious breakfast favorites, including Mickey waffles and Minnie pancakes. It’s also a great opportunity to meet characters that are harder to find. Mickey and Minnie are on hand as well as a handful of others. They walk around the tables, dance with the kids, and pose for pictures. It was a highlight of our trip and worth the money. If you’re doing Disneyland with boys, this is the perfect experience!
With so many attractions, heroes, and treats for your little boys to experience, they’ll be sure to have a magical time! You really can have a magical vacation in Disneyland with boys. To help you get the most magic for your money, book through Get Away Today. Also, use promo code EverydayFamily to get an additional $10 off your Southern California vacation package and make sure to let them know that Your Everyday Family sent you.
If you have tips for doing Disneyland with boys, share them below. I’d love to hear!