Some posts contain affiliate links. We may earn money or product from the companies mentioned in this post.
If you follow me on social media, you may have heard that we recently got a kitten. My husband and I have gone back and forth about getting one for a couple of years and this kitty came from a litter from my sister-in-laws cat. We had visited the 5 little cuties several times and I fell for this sweet little girl. We loved her so much, we decided it was the right time to become cat people! Before she arrived, I set out to the nearest pet store and grabbed my supplies. I had to do it quickly too because I literally had just a couple of hours before our kitten was going to be delivered by my sister-in-law.
I’m new to being a cat owner. I grew up with dogs and I’m actually allergic to cats. But so far, my allergies haven’t been too bad. I can’t wait to share our journey with you in the future, including tips for people like me who have cat allergies.
For now, here’s the 5 things we made sure to purchase the day we brought our kitty home.
- Food!: Be sure to get the rigth kind of food for your cat. If you’re adopting a kitten, they need different food than an adult cat. You can also ask the previous owners what kind of food they ate and decide if that fits your budget. It is helpful for them if they don’t have to adjust to a new diet and a new home at the same time!
- Cat Litter: This was something that I nearly forgot and, besides food, the most important thing to have! As I mentioned, I grew up with dogs and we didn’t have anything like this. Be sure to grab the right kind of litter for your cat and for your home. I like the kind that has a fresh smell to it! .
- Litter Box and Scoop: Once you get the right litter, you need a box. I sat in the aisle for a long time trying to figure out which on to buy. What helped me to choose was knowing where the box would be going and that we wanted our kids to help clean it. So, for us, the box needed to be easy to clean and it didn’t have to be “hidden” because our cat is an outdoor cat. There are also boxes that are on the cheaper end of things and some went up to nearly $100. Know your budet too!
- Food/Water Bowls: This one is a necessity but I nearly forgot them! They have a huge variety at the stores to fit your style. For our water bowl, I chose one that has a water bottle inverted on the top that fills the bowl back up when the water level gets low.
- Comfort Items: For our kitten, we bought a soft bed and some little toys. Kittens are so playful and much more cuddly than I expected!
Aren’t kitten snuggles the best? What supplies have you found to be necessary as a cat owner?