Some posts contain affiliate links. We may earn money or product from the companies mentioned in this post.
As I said in an earlier post, I’ve really had a need for little small projects lately. Things I can do while sitting on the couch watching “Three Men and A Little Lady” (did you hear they are supposedly coming out with another movie?). Anyway, I really enjoy felt applique and decided to bust something out using some of my leftover felt. I’ve made our stockings this way by buying the kits (which take a lot of time but are so worth it!). If you’ve never tried it, you should. Felt is so easy to work with, and for someone like me who is still a little afraid of the sewing machine, it’s perfect.
Anyway, here is what I came up. I found black, purple, and green 8.5×11 felt sheets in my stash and some leftover embroidery thread. I still have plenty of stuffing and I found the cute little Halloween buttons at Hobby Lobby for $2.99 (but with the 40% they around $1.50). I’m sorry I didn’t do pictures as a step by step, but it was so easy I didn’t think it was necessary.
1. I folded my felt sheets in half length-wise (hamburger style, LOL)
2. I traced my letters free hand. Yep, free hand. It made it feel more authentic. I made sure to leave a little room leftover for scraps to use as the hole in the middle of the letters.
3. Cut out letters, front and back.
4. Cut out the middles for the letters (the 2 for the “B” and one each for the “O”s).
5. Applique the middles to the letters. If you have a sewing machine, go for it!
6. Adhere front and backs together. I’m not sure what the exact name of the stitch I used is called-it’s the one that loops around the edges to give it a secure edge. If you have a sewing machine, even easier! Be sure to leave a spot open to stuff it before sealing closed.
7. I stitched the letters together, making the middle “O” the furthest letter to the back.
8. I added two strips of felt to each side to loop ribbon through, one on the back of the “B” and the other on the back of the right “O”. Then, I added ribbon.
9. Here’s where I ran into a problem. When I hung it up, it bunched together. My hubsters came to the rescue and gave me the idea to add something hard to the back. Aha! A strip of chipboard did the trick. I hot glued it and the sign hung flat.
10. Finally, I took the button loops off the back of the buttons with scissors and hot glued them to the felt letters.
Voila! It took me a movie plus a little extra to finish (just because I had some mommy duties to attend to). And it got me using my extra stash of felt that’s been sitting around forever. It feels good to use up some of my craft stash!
Linking up to: