Some posts contain affiliate links. We may earn money or product from the companies mentioned in this post.
Does your family enjoy watching Christmas movies as much as mine? Ever since I was small, my family has enjoyed the same movies every single year. We never miss one and keep adding more and more! Some of the classics that we never miss are “White Christmas”, “Holiday Inn”, “A Christmas Story”, “Christmas Vacation”, and “The Grinch”. In fact, “The Grinch” with Jim Carrey is my kids’ absolute favorite (a second favorite is “The Polar Express”). We usually end up watching it about 10 times before Christmas and sometimes after a couple of times too! This year, I thought it would be fun to have a treat on hand for our movie nights and created “Grinch Muddy Buddies”. A spin on a classic treat, just as the Jim Carrey remake is a spin on the classic cartoon movie.
These whip up so quickly too! You can have your kids help you before watching the movie and turn it into a fun activity before watching the movie. It’s the same basic recipe for regular Muddy Buddies with peanut butter, butter, melted chocolate, powdered sugar, and Chex cereal. We like Corn Chex the best.
To get the green color, I opted to throw in green sanding sugar with the powdered sugar when coating the cereal. The sanding sugar didn’t add much more sweetness and gave the mix just a hint of green. Admittedly, I didn’t know if the sugar would stick to the cereal mix the same way the powdered sugar does but it worked just fine!
Next, I added some green M&M’s and the finishing touch… jumbo heart sprinkles. I LOVE these sprinkles! They are adorable and my kids had fun eating them. I found the sprinkles at a local restaurant supply store called Orson Gygi but found similar ones on Amazon too. The hearts represent the message of the story, the change of heart that The Grinch experienced…
“Well, in Whoville they say – that the Grinch’s small heart grew three sizes that day. And then – the true meaning of Christmas came through…”
And that’s all there is to it!
But before you go, check out the great projects and recipes below inspired by other classic Christmas films from some of my blogger friends!
- 9 cups Corn Chex™, Rice Chex™, Wheat Chex™ or Chocolate Chex™ cereal (or combination)
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup green sanding sugar
- Jumbo red heart sprinkles
- Green M&M's
- Into large bowl, measure cereal; set aside.
- In 1-quart microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter uncovered on High 1 minute; stir.
- Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth.
- Stir in vanilla. Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated.
- Pour into 2-gallon resealable food-storage plastic bag.
- Add powdered sugar and green sanding sugar.
- Seal bag; shake until well coated. Spread on waxed paper to cool.
- Add in green M&M's and red heart sprinkles.
- Store in airtight container in refrigerator.
Who is ready for some more Classic Christmas Movie fun?!
Frosty’s Snowman Party Mix | The Love Nerds
Hand Lettered Rudolph Craft | Simply Made Fun
A Christmas Story Ovaltini | Hey, Let’s Make Stuff
Grinch Chocolate Pretzel Bites | Kid’s Fun Review
DIY White Christmas Art | Love, Pasta & a Tool Belt
The Grinch Muddy Buddies | My Daylights
A Christmas Story Drinking Game | Hey, Let’s Make Stuff
The Santa Clause Inspired Hot Chocolate Recipe | The Benson Street
Charlie Brown Christmas Tree Hoop Art | Albion Gould
White Christmas Inspired Salmon Club Sandwich | Rae Gun Ramblings
Elf Quotes Tee Shirt Designs | Major Hoff Takes A Wife
Snowflake Iron-on Template | Nap-Time Creations