Some posts contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy for more information!
One of the things I love about Utah are all of the opportunities there are to expose my children to culture, learning, and life. Which is why I’m so happy to be partnering with The Leonardo in downtown Salt Lake City. They have a new exhibit that my boys are so excited for; it’s called “FLIGHT” and it’s the first in-house Utah based exhibit that will be on display for the next few years.
Leonard da Vinci is one of my favorite artists and inventors and this exhibit was chosen specifically because flight was one of his biggest passions during his life. The exhibit will feature a full-sized replica of da Vinci’s first man-powered flying machine!
I am already dreaming up the fun possibilities and learning experiences for my family with this exhibit. Especially because the exhibit will also house a C-131 aircraft that is so big, they had to remove part of the wall on the building! It’s completely interactive, so you don’t have to worry about getting after your kids for climbing on it. It’s encouraged! There is also a giant slide out of the back of the airplane. And not only will this be fun for my family, it will be a great place to take out of town guests.
Here are some other features of the exhibit that I can’t wait to see!
- A Russian MiG-21 Fighter Jet that will be part of the exhibit.
- The exhibit also has interactives and activities that will teach visitors about three different types of flight. Buoyant flight (hot air balloons), Aerodynamic flight (airplanes) and Ballistic flight (missiles and rockets). There will also be a section on animal flight and the history of flight including Leonardo da Vinci’s flying machine and a bi-plane that you can break apart and put back together.
- There will be an honest-to-goodness rocket pack, just like they use in the movies, except this one actually worked at one point. It doesn’t now, but you’ll be able to see the pack, mess around with it and discover how these things work.
- There will also be three hyper-realistic flight simulators provided by Rockwell Collins so you can get in and fly all sorts of missions, planes and other things to get your blood pumping.
- There are a few additional surprises that I hear are going to be absolutely amazing!!!
To create such an incredible exhibit, The Leonardo needs OUR help! So how can you contribute?
You can donate through the KICKSTARTER the Leonardo has set up and receive some pretty incredible things in return. Keep in mind the cost of an adult ticket is usually $13.
- If you donate just $5 you will receive a free pair of Air Leo wings, and one (1) free ticket to be among the first in the world to see the new Flight exhibit
Donating just $15 you receive a classic bomber hat and goggles . You’ll also get all of the rewards at the $5 level.
If you donate $30 you will get everything at the first two levels, plus you’ll get three (3) additional tickets to be among the first to see the Flight exhibit. When you come, you’ll also get a flight themed treat in the café and a special gift from the retail store.
For your donation of $50, you’ll receive four (4) tickets to the PRE-OPENING of Flight. You’ll be able to see the exhibit before it opens to the public and participate in the huge paper airplane party. You’ll be among 1000 other people to flood the skies of Salt Lake with cool paper airplanes. You’ll also be able to see a real live skywriter and interact with all sorts of fun people. The event takes place August 5, 2016, at 1pm, so if you want a cool activity for you and the kids, this is it! I cannot wait to attend!
I love being a part of something this amazing! Plus, The Leonardo has been generous enough to giveaway ONE Family Plus pass to the museum. This pass is good for one year and allows 2 adults and up to 6 guests year round access to the museum and all the exhibits. You will also get 15% off in the bistro and the retail store. So if you’re needing something fun for your family to do (I’m always looking for activities), this pass will give you plenty of opportunities for a YEAR!